Saturday 16 December 2017

Vale Peter Ilbery

Vale Peter Ilbery OAM, former 455 Squadron pilot. 

I owe him much. 

Peter had written a couple of books on the Empire Air Training Scheme (Hatching an Air Force and Empire Airmen Strike Back) and, while researching Clive Caldwell Air Ace, I spoke to him about the scheme as well Caldwell as a leader and the nature of leadership. Peter, who had served with 455 Squadron during the war, compared Caldwell’s leadership practice with that of 455’s one-time CO Jack Davenport. 

Sometime after finishing CCAA, aviation author Lex McAulay, who assumed I would continue to research Australian pilots, emailled me a list of possible ‘candidates’. Jack Davenport was on the list. Next thing I knew, Peter was on the phone saying he had heard I was going to write about Jack Davenport. And it seemed I was! 

Peter, who were there from the beginning of Jack Davenport Beaufighter Leader, offered me encouragement and moral support throughout and provided a sounding board to some of my ideas. He ‘volunteered’ to read early drafts and wrote the forward. He was there at the launch. I owe him so much.

While I know (sadly now, knew) him as a former beaufighter pilot and mentor, others will remember him as a medical doctor, radiation researcher, radiobiologist and radiodiagnostician, historian of the Empire Air Training Scheme and the man who established the Commonwealth Air Memorial at Dallachy. Vale Peter 10 December 2017.




https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P02095.001

 https://sydney.edu.au/medicine/museum/mwmuseum/index.php/Ilbery,_Peter_Leslie_Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment