Monday 8 April 2013

John Crossman's Grave

My correspondent in Chalfont St Giles just sent through a very moving note about John Crossman:

'This afternoon, I looked after my youngest grandchildren [10 and 7] while they played by the stream flowing by the back of the churchyard. After that adventure ended without mishap, they decided they would like to visit Grandma's plaque in the churchyard. They were also interested in the war graves [their great-grandfather had been killed in WW2] so we looked at a couple of graves, including that of John Crossman, which has a small photo of him on the grave. The photograph wrapped in thin plastic sent with the wreath from Forest Row was not very waterproof, so a friend of mine used a copy of the formal photo you sent me to produce a replacement, with name added in small print, which he encapsulated and placed on John Crossman's grave. I explained to the children that John's story would be in your book and they were impressed when I showed them the same photograph in your flyer.'

John Crossman no longer has family living in Chalfont St Giles, where he is buried. His grave is now tended by the members of the parish church. It is wonderful to know that he is still remembered, and a younger generation are now aware of their links to Australia and the Battle of Britain.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for writing this. I have lived in Chalfont St Giles for 14 years, but only recently made a point of visiting all the war graves in the churchyard. I was amaized to find an Australian pilot at rest amongst us. To day is Remamberance Day here, I will walk down and pay my respects.

    ReplyDelete